The Day We Let Go of Ted

The sound of the alarm from my cell phone awakened me, telling me that it’s already 6:00 o’clock in the morning.

I slept after doing my usual early morning chores as online writer. I had worked full-time as search engine optimization specialist for almost six months now. I love working on early mornings.

I wrote articles and built links since 3:00 o’clock in the morning. After almost two hours of pounding on my laptop and finishing my second article, I decided to stretch on the rattan sofa and catch some sleep.

When the alarm sounded, I stirred, quickly got up, and shut down my laptop. I had to wash and clean Ted. Somebody wanted to see him at 7:00 AM that day.

Meet dear old Ted

Zemanta Related Posts Thumbnail

Ted came to stay with us in September 2009. For over a year, we enjoyed his company, an ever trustworthy and loyal companion.

Despite his old age, Ted never ever let us down except for some few occasions beyond his control.

Who’s Ted? Before you become too puzzled, I would like to introduce Ted to you.

Ted is the name of the Blue Gray 1992 Toyota Corolla that we bought from Dr. Melvin Mangana. It’s not hard to name our first family car because the license plate number reads TED 862.

How Ted joined our family

From Worry To Glory

Ted and I posing in front of the Vaflor's house at CPU compound.

Our daughter, Jadyn Joan started going to Nursery class in 2009. We observed that almost every month she had bouts of asthma.

Then we learned she’s allergic to pollen and dust. Also, she was quite affected with the noonday sun. Their Nursery class dismissed at 12:00 o’clock noon.

One day when I and Melvin were talking, he mentioned in passing that he’s selling his old car because he is getting a newer one. I expressed my need for a car to ferry our daughter to school and home.

Melvin recalled how he had difficulty bringing his children to Kindergarten because he was driving a bike. He told me that he is happy to let me have Ted so that I won’t experience what he went through.

From Worry To Glory

Dr. Mangana used to bring his kids to school using a bike.

Realizing my need and his concern for my daughter’s welfare, he and wife Mila agreed to sell their car to us. The great blessing is that I got Ted from them through a “payable-when-able” scheme.

I was just an employee of Central Philippine University and my meager salary could only afford to buy a very old car. I and my family are grateful to Dr. and Mrs. Melvin Mangana for sharing Ted to us.

Ted came at the right time

He became Jadyn’s service in going to school and attending Kid Zone at the University Church. Ted provided comfort and safety for Jadyn and the rest of the family.

Ted played a major role in building our family life

For over a year that Ted stayed with us, he played a very important role in building our family. He would take us to places where our family could fellowship and bond together.

Ted also bore witness to our family dynamics that are just common to any family. These included arguments, quarrels, and scolding. Whenever things are intense and stressful, Ted’s facility enabled us to drive around to find a better place to chill out.

When my younger brother Ivan died, Ted served us faithfully as we went about arranging a lot of things for the burial. His fully tinted glass windows provided the needed privacy for sadness and tears.

The many long road trips to Ajuy, my wife’s hometown, were great time for us to be together. Imagine being inside Ted’s four-door compartment for two hours.

More than the laughter, the food, and the countryside scenes that we share along the way are the sentiments and dreams that were hatched. These trips with Ted are valuable and memorable.

Despite his old age, he never had any major mechanical failure. He simply carried us through any trips, be it near or far, light or heavy.

From Worry To Glory

This photo would always remind us that we had once a family member named Ted.

We love Ted but we have to let go of him

After wiping the last wet part of Ted’s hood, I summoned my wife and daughter to come. We took time taking pictures with Ted. His new owner was coming that morning and he’s taking Ted with him.

We love Ted but we have to let go of him because we need a bigger vehicle, possibly a wagon, to carry our family belongings.

Also, we were leaving CPU and we had to vacate the Vaflor’s house in the campus where we stayed for six years.

I and my wife resigned from Central Philippine University because we cannot bear anymore the persecution that we were going through.

My wife who was hired as Assistant Professor in August 2007 was reclassified as staff member through a mere personnel action notice of the Human Resource office.

In my case, the administration under the leadership of Dr. Ted Robles diminished my salary without prior information or explanation at all.

We love Ted but we have to let go of him because we need to go somewhere where truth and justice prevail.

Thank you, our dear old Ted for serving us faithfully for over a year.

As our first family car, Ted will forever remain in our memories.

I love to hear your thoughts. Please write a comment on the form below. Thank you.

Comments

1. Leah Gaje Grewal says

Hi Jonan, hope you remember me and our discussions on your blog after you left CPU for New Zealand. I told you that you are now in a better place. Glad to read your story regarding Ted. “Gone but not forgotten.” I am so happy for you and what you have achieved since. Continue your good work. God bless you and your family.

• Jonan Castillon says

Yes, I remember our discussions and most of all your encouragement. Thank you for appreciating the post about our car “Ted”. Trusting God’s guidance and for all that I do and achieve I give all the glory and honor to our God Almighty. God bless you and your family too. Thank you.

2. Susan Stafford says

Fantastic Jonan a real storytelling skill there – I have a writing skill too. And I think I’ve had hard times – yeah right !!! More power to God for bringing us BOTH through!!!

3. Freddy Panes says

what happened to you at CPU happens everyday at work where you have higher-ups who dont even have balls to tell you frankly. i dont blame them because they achieved their high positions by moving paper on their desk and also kissing *sses along the way. then they duck for cover behind the same god we implore to help us while they are persecuting us. god in all his honesty and grace will have to deal with them sometime in the future. meanwhile keep moving and never look back but always remember.

4. Perla says

Jonan, what a good story. I can empathize with letting go of something/someone special, but growth does follow, as you have discovered. Wherever life takes you, enjoy the journey, and carry with you the good memories, encouragement, love and hope that will make the next step even more fruitful. May God bless and keep you always. We are here for you.

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you Ma’m Pearl for your inspiring words. Most of all thank you for reading the post and posting a comment. I surely missed our interactions while you were at the forefront of overseas alumni affairs. I know that like me you have experienced many transitions in life and I believe that indeed, growth does follow. Thank you for being there for me. Give my regards to Linzy!

5. Barbara Cebujano Ledesma says

…….letting go of someone/something is heavy in our heart, but letting go someone/something for the good of everyone lightens up your heart!………your story brought tears in my eyes! ……AMEN, AMEN to that……..more power and more blessings to you and you loved ones!

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you Barbara for reading my post and feeling how we felt. More power and blessings to you too. I had been through the worst in life and I’m happy to say that the Lord God Almighty has helped us through. In fact He blesses abundantly those who trust completely in Him.

6. FelixC says

migo, i hear the pain of letting go, especially something that have part of you and on various and significant occasions, i am saddened to know of the death of Ivan, this is first time info to me, i could imagine him as a jolly and pleasant person, and to mention, a very respectful one, Ivan never missed to address someone as Manong or Manang, sweet spirit.

as you let go, i trust as you do, that God will and is moving you to a “better place” where justice, contentment, blessings awaits, shalom!

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you for your thoughts about Ivan. Thank you for your prayers. We are now in a better place and we have attained the justice that we sought. God is good! Read my next post…thank you!

7. maricar cabarriban says

hi jonan, what an inspiring story you shared. i can feel what you’ve been through but God carried You all the way….i know that you and your family can surpassed these challenges in your life because you are in God’s hands…i salute you my friend….just keep your faith burning and i know there will be newer and bigger Teds that will come your way…new life, new challenge, new beginnings but as long as you’re in God’s way you’ll never go wrong. God bless always my friend.

• Jonan Castillon says

I am greatly inspired by your thoughts and words Maricar. Thank you very much. I believe that it is your faith in God and what He can do that makes you say confidently that we will overcome. May I say that you are right about me and my family surpassing all the challenges. What is amazing, God provided much blessings, much more than we expected. We praise Him!

8. Primo says

See…good on you Mate! You have already let go of TED! And it is a shame we are still stuck with him…hahahahaha

• Jonan Castillon says

Mate, you are born to stick and to fight… When you are on justice side no one can defeat you. Thank you for being brave enough to post a comment here…hehehehe.

9. Jun Daniel says

i do not know where to comment, so many news, truths, facts, memories flooding all over your blogpost… but one thing i know, when you move with God, we have this gigantic assurance that He has already poured out the blessings and provisions far beyond our plans and expectations.

Migo Jonan, we have not talked for more than 10 years… and that was a real long time… but i am sure you have been taught to play “close-open” when you were young… now its no longer a game, this is real life – its time to let go… and a time is coming when its time to receive…

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you Migo Jun for the encouragement. No one can prevent God’s provision…when His blessings rain, it pours. My next post will be about how God has carried us through.

Trackbacks