Reasons For Beautiful Living in South Canterbury

A beauty to behold, a beauty to think and to feel about, and a beauty to be remembered.
Dr. Juanito M. Acanto

South Canterbury

Our simple aspiration in life is to find a peaceful place to live and use to the fullest the gifts that God has given us.

We found it in New Zealand. We lived initially in Auckland for nine months then moved to Timaru on 14 August 2012.

We love the place, the weather and the friendly people. The surrounding towns of South Canterbury are such lovely places for its tourist destinations, history, and placid environment.

It didn’t take us a month to realize it’s easy to live a happy life in South Canterbury. Let me give you two reasons.

South Canterbury is home and gateway to popular scenic spots

Lake Tekapo South Canterbury

Church of the Good Shepherd South Canterbury

Two hours away from Timaru is Lake Tekapo. A trip to Lake Tekapo is just like finding a trove of treasures that gives lasting happiness.

Walking along the stony shores of Lake Tekapo or wading into its cool crystal clear waters make you realize you’re really in an awesome place.

Don’t fail to take a pose at the famous Church of the Good Shepherd. Read her brief history and feel the solemnity inside, you would surely wish to renew wedding vows in the hallowed halls of this famous church.

Then drive for 10-15 minutes up the popular Mt. John Observatory and spend time appreciating the 360⁰ view at Astro Cafe. Surely, these are the best of times spend with friends and family.

Visiting Lake Tekapo is just like stepping into a real-life movie scene.

Visiting Lake Tekapo is just like stepping into a real-life movie scene.

Astro Cafe Mt. John Observatory

The awesome view at Mt. John will make you forget this tasteful Astro Cafe coffee cup.

At Timaru, the heart of South Canterbury, Caroline Bay gives a very relaxing beat

The dune boardwalk gives you access to beautifully planted and cared sand dunes of Caroline Bay.

Tired and stressed after the day’s work?

Not feeling well, suffering from colds or whatever infirmity?

Take a walk at Caroline Bay, through the pathways, the board walk, and stroll along the beach, you will be refreshed and healed.

I can’t understand it but each time I go promenading at Caroline Bay, feeling the sea breeze, hearing the sound of surf, seeing seagulls flying and playing freely my mind relaxes and my soul quiets.

Caroline Bay South Canterbury

Caroline Bay South Canterbury

Caroline Bay Fitness Trail is a two-kilometer walk with stops at exercise and fitness equipment.

They are located strategically in the park so that capable fitness buffs could enjoy the bay and park views while exercising.

Caroline Bay South Canterbury

Many friendships are forged at the playground.

The paddling pool at Caroline Bay is the children's favorite.

Anytime on a sunny day is great time for picnic and frolic at Caroline Bay.

Kids may go and play at the playground while parents sit and relax under the sun.

It’s at the Caroline Bay playground where children share and play together at the swings, slides, and other rides, winning friends in the process.

As a migrant and pilgrim in search of a place of peace and happy living for my family, South Canterbury is the best place to begin.

Isn’t it lovely to see that the rich and poor, young and old, able and not-so-able can have the same chance to experience and enjoy these reasons for happy living in South Canterbury?

Like the old Timaru Lighthouse that had guided many ships to Caroline Bay Port, may your dreams of beautiful life guide and lead you to come, visit and live in South Canterbury.

Timaru Lighthouse South Canterbury

For more information click this link—>VISIT, LIVE, WORK, DO BUSINESS SOUTH CANTERBURY

Photo Credits: Jade Jarbadan, Jewel Kwe

Please TELL A FRIEND about South Canterbury by clicking the “Facebook”, “Twitter” and other social media buttons below. Thank you.
See more about this post here–>PANAY NEWS PROMOTES SOUTH CANTERBURY

Comments

1. Juanito says

Your article about South Canterbury was featured in a one whole page Panay News issue dated Dec. 30, 2012; page D-5. Panay News is the most popular and widely circulated daily in the whole Western Visayas.

Thank you for quoting me about beautiful people and beautiful places. Your article represents the kind of a person you are and the place where you are now. It is perceptible in your smile and in the smile of Jewel and your daughter. It looks like you are more beautiful there than while you were here. How I really wish I could be there too and see all your beautiful neighbors and enjoy their company amidst the surrounding beauty that gives pleasure and joy.

Beauty begins in the heart and goes to the senses. We appreciate people and places around us because we are to start with beautiful in the heart. Our feelings and our thoughts are the principal and the environment and atmosphere surroundings are the accessories, but in your case, the principal and the accessories have found each other together to make life fulfilling.

You have captured the beauty of life and the joy of fulfillment in living.

More blessings to you and your family.

MANINOY JUANING

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you very much for your kind words Sir. I must say that I was quite influenced by your attraction to beautiful things. We all know and believe that the source of life’s appreciation comes from the source and sustainer of life Himself, our Almighty Loving God who causes all things to become beautiful in His perfect time. Again, thank you for posting a comment, most of all, I am forever grateful for mentoring me to always see the beautiful side of life. Blessings to you and your family and I look forward to see you soon.

2. Sofia Fern says

I am more than agree about South Canterbury being an awesome place to visit. I have been in there once and that experience is remarkable.

3. FR (Frank) Jamandre says

Pictures speak more than words. The scenic, beautiful and lovely South Canterbury was well presented although this is only a part of what a magnificent array of other spots we will discover when we will be visiting or even living there. I really want someday to experience first hand going around your place that gives a relaxing and enjoyable experience as a tourist destination. I will be sharing these to all of my other friends for them to visit your place. Your blog is very helpful and informative. Congratulations!

4. Jezbeth says

One of the most peaceful and beautiful place in New Zealand. A must place to see. Hope to visit again someday. :)

5. Anonymous says

One of the most beautiful and serene place that I’ve ever been. I would love to go back again someday and meet up with your whole family Nong. God bless. :)

6. Anonymous says

Great place with great people! Perfect! God bless pastor Jonan and the whole family for another leap of Faith! God with us!

7. Anonymous says

What a beautiful and peaceful place to visit and to stay ! It’s like you are in a place where everything is free…free of clean air & water. Very interesting and homely.Thank you for sharing this to everyone Jonan.

8. renj12 (@renj12) says

seems like an awesome place to visit! the pictures show how peaceful South Canterbury is. I never been in that place, but I wish to visit it in the near future.

9. Jones says

Behold the beauty of this place..cant wait to share with my friends…a priceless pasttime for vacation

10. Anonymous says

Nice and beautiful place to visit. Very relaxing and inspiring. Indeed one of the best place to visit soon. God’s work is perfectly amazing.

11. Ruthy says

It’s really a beautiful place, full of wonderful scenery. You really have a great time there.

12. Sandy Lim says

Amazingly beautiful. I hope I can visit the place too. Just want to share this to you guys, a Priest once told me that “Journey is a Reward”. Wherever our journey will lead us to always bear in mind that it is with the people we meet along the way and the experiences that were going to have and share it with our love ones makes the place extra special and beautiful :)

13. toolbyte says

It is said that “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” but with this blog, it could also be said that “Beauty in the eye of the blogger can be also be seen by the readers through words so appropriately chosen and crafted.”

14. Anonymous says

South Canterbury is indeed a wonderful place to live. May Gods eternal love continue to shower upon you and your family! See you there sometime soon my friend. :)

15. Timothy Pesquera says

Very lovely place! Definitely want to visit when God finally gives the money my family & I need to travel and stay there awhile :) Warmest regards to you & your family, Pastor Jonan! All the best for 2013 ;)

16. Anonymous says

amazing location you have in there Jonan… wish we can visit you there someday and for sure I will be excited to be outdoors taking photos :-) have a blessed 2013 to you and your family…take care

17. Anonymous says

Nice place!!! i would love to visit there someday!! i am very much motivated and encouraged to work harder inorder for me to gain experience and to fulfill my dreams to be a migrant of NZ as well…hehehe :)

18. Nicola says

Come to South Canterbury in any season. In Summer and Spring the place is a kaleidoscope of colours – numerous variety of flowers in their majestic bloom, clear infinite blues skies and green oceans and lakes – its an optic pleasure. Come here in Winter and experience winter wonderland in Tekapo & Twizel. So glad to be living in South Canterbury.

19. Jessie says

Thanks, Jonan for the article with nice pictures of nature in South Canterbury. God is divinely creative and a place worthy to visit in the future! You are blessed to live in that fantastic place. Merry Christmas!

20. Jeejee says

Awesome! Our Lord knows where you and your family should be. His comfort and love radiates. Merry Christmas brod! More blessings your way! :)

21. Ann Delano says

Awesome place! God willing, hope to visit this place someday…God bless Jonan, Ting2 and Inday.

22. Anonymous says

Hi kuya Jonan…truly God is so good…what a lovely place…hope i can visit and live there too..have a wonderful and blessed christmas…god bless…

23. Anonymous says

Hi Jonan, how wonderful seeing your family in this beautiful place. It’s worth to be there. If only time and resources permit, it is nice to visit the place. Enjoy your stay and God bless you and your family always.

24. Carmela says

Wonderful place to live.You are blessed to be there. Hoping to see the beautiful place..Wishing you all a blessed and Joyous Christmas holidays.

25. Amor Soquena says

Beautiful place this is. Green, clean, fresh air! One place in my mind to visit one day, especially now that there is a direct flight to NZ! Beautiful description of the place Jonan. You can write. Will be my next travel destination!

26. charlaine mae c. bajada says

Definitely beautiful, manong jonan.. as the the saying goes, ” beauty is a joy that last forever.” may it always be beautiful and peaceful..

27. Jerome says

You truly found a home in there. Amazing view. I would love to visit you there one day! God bless!

Jerome

28. Errol James says

Amazing place to live and I already live here. Don’t leave home until you see the country.

29. Nerissa Acanto says

Hi Jon, it’s nice to know you’ve settled in such a lovely and peaceful place in Timaru, NZ. Hope we can visit you in the future. Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family always.

30. Lucell Larawan says

The hush of greens and serenity of Timaru is quite an attraction. Migration there is indeed a blessing. This is one of the best places in the New Zealand which I hope to live or visit. The brilliant greens contrasting the sky is poetic, figuratively speaking of how promising it is for better options in my career.

31. Anonymous says

Hi Jon, Are u in NZ? I thought sa US hehehe… what a beautiful place you’ve got there…how can I migrate if ever….Merry Christmas to and your whole family…God Bless

32. Lina says

‘feeling the sea breeze, hearing the sound of surf, seeing seagulls flying and playing freely my mind relaxes and my soul quiets’… With these words, I can almost smell the air and feel it. That’s truly a sight to see. Truly, you’re in a beautiful place. Blessings to you and the whole family..

33. amslyn antonio says

God is Great! Absolutely,stunning work Pastor Jonan..Great pictures & photography! Each &every image is really fantastic…The photos are exquisite & unique..I love scenery & I did enjoy watching your lovely pictures w/ your family..hoping to now see them in real..thank u for sharing w/us your wonderful & unforgettable memories of a beautiful place..Keep up the good work!:)

34. Anonymous says

Great Place Nan…..wish we can also visit you there…and maybe live there too….
    Advance Merry Christmas…and God bless….

35. Jeremiah Butch Gemarino says

It’s like heaven on earth. The sceneries are so calm and pristine like pictures out from a postcard. It’s like going to a new dimension unlike any other, unspoiled by pollution, preserved in the same way God created it from the beginning. And yes, I want to live there too. :-)

36. Anonymous says

Lovely pictures!A very beautiful scenery..Looks very peaceful w/c is perfect for just a day to just relax.. I’m glad you had such a wonderful time & happy living w/ur family..Thank you for sharing this w/us..It’s really a great memories of a beautiful place to homestay..Godspeed!

37. Anonymous says

Had Geoffrey Chaucer been privy to the titillating scenery of South Canterbury, he might have made this as the backdrop of his tales, Canterbury notwithstanding…hehe.

I see that the New Zealand locale has been generous to you and your family. Enjoy the scenery, continue writing about it while living your life to the fullest, sir. (“,)

38. Rency Roma says

HI Kuya Jonan, u’r truly blessed that u live there now. .S. Canterbury is soo beautiful . We passed by some of the places you’ve mentioned above lastyear when my parents came to visit NZ. I really wanted to go back there. Well maybe i can visit you someday. God bless.

39. Joefrey says

Thanks Ptr. Jonan for sharing this very nice article.I hope we could visit the place someday!

40. Anonymous says

Lovely place. It look so serene and gentle. God’s awesome creation. Your family is so blessed to be able to live in this wonderful place.

41. Geraldine B. Nadela says

Happy to see you and family settling in a beautiful place. Hope that my kids and I will be able to visit your new abode in the near future, if God wills.

42. Anonymous says

Ganda! Sana maka rating din me sa ganoong place. (Translation: Beautiful! I hope I could reach this place.)

43. Anonymous says

Looks like a beautiful place Jonan. I’m happy to see you and your family are settling quite well. God bless you.

44. Roming says

Hello sir Jonan, “the best” gid gale dira, kabugnaw, daw mabatyagan ko ang dapya sang glacier nga ara sa background! Godspeed and more power!

45. heaj77 says

it is indeed a beautiful place to visit…next on my list..thank you for sharing it with me…

46. April Sayco says

a dream place to settle and find peace.few words are not enough to describe what one feels and it’s like being there too..thank you for sharing that beautiful place with us.

47. Susanti says

What a beautiful place you live at, Jonan!! Surely, Timaru will be in my travel list now!

48. Karl Hipolito says

Stunning! No doubt South Island has THE best places in the world!!! Need to fly down South to shoot these!!! :)

• jade says

nami tani maka upod sa imo toto karl. para maka kuha man ko photo tips sa imo. (Translation: I wish I could come with you Karl so I could learn photography tips from you.)

49. dzlyn patriarca says

Hi pastor jonan, I’m happy for you and your family to be there living in South Canterbury. Indeed God is good, let us praise Him! Continue spreading His words.

50. Gen says

Such a beautiful place.. A perfect place to settle.. Great pictures sir.. The beauty of South Canterbury was perfectly shown..

51. Val Centeno says

I’ve travelled New Zealand (both North and South Island) in the late 80′s and i would love to do it again specially the south island . . . Bro . . the place where you are living now is beautiful . . . i will visit you there again one day . . . remember it is only 2 hrs flight . . .

52. Anonymous says

A day doesn’t pass that I don’t remember the 4 wonderful years I spent in South Canterbury..Timaru will always be in my heart..I have been fortunate to return twice to my beloved Timaru and all of South Canterbury!!

53. Errol James says

We often take all these for granted. Makes you realize what a wonderful place we are privileged to live in.

54. jennijutare@yahoo.com says

I wish I knew about South Canterbury long time ago. I went to Wellington some years ago and would have visited South Canterbury too. On my next trip to NZ, I won’t leave without visiting your new city. It’s so peaceful, I wanna take a vacation forever! :-)

55. Shelly Mae says

Scenic pictures . Glad you are enjoying yourselves there Pastor. Reading your comments and looking at the pics of destinations in South Canterbury make me take a whiff at Middle Earth. Especially Lake Tekapo. Looks like something straight from Tolkien’s books. I love it. :)

56. Ronna says

What a beautiful place! The story, the photos and personally knowing the values of the author, leaves me no doubt that this place is one of the oasis for peace, serenity, simplicity and contentment. I hope that one day I can make a visit there.

Keep sharing your beautiful blessings, Manong J.! :-)

57. Jace says

The pictures and the description are so inviting. It would be really nice to visit this place someday. I’m glad you have finally found a place where your family feels at home. :-D God bless you!

58. Harry Villanueva says

Wow! This is what Louis Armstrong meant in his song “What a Wonderful World”. :-) Awesome!

59. apple says

Such a calm ,serene and beautiful place..Good luck in your journey to discover some more wonders in New Zealand. Wherever,we are I guess its being with our loved ones that makes us even more appreciative with what we have.Have a Happy Happy Christmas..Hope si tito lau kg tita lyn makakdato na dra.

60. anne says

Sounds like happy ending that a lot of people only dream of. Happy to see that you have found your place in the sun. Good luck!

61. Ann Delano says

Beautiful Place to live. Amo gid ini nga place ang gusto man sang hubby ko nga istaran..:) Really awesome!

62. John says

Great comments on a beautiful part of the world. It’s so easy to get too familiar with your surroundings, but Jonan you remind us all of the special nature of this area.

63. Linzy says

I love it!! You are very fortunate to be able to be there and appreciate God’s wonderful work, first hand. The pictures are truly beautiful! Good work.
    Perla & Linzy

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you Doc Val for your comments. I just included two reasons that really have an impact on us. There could be thousand reasons to visit South Canterbury.

64. Antonio Lachica III says

Just by looking at the pictures gives me an inspiration to explore and wish that one day I can visit the place.

65. Jo Jan Paul Penol says

Indeed, one of the best places to go if I’m abroad. I’ll be gladder to meet you and your family. :)

Having read the post above encourages me to to your place. It’s truly a gift from the heavens!

See you and regards!

66. Joe says

I feel like coming for a visit maybe for a few years!
    Lovely inspiring capture of your new home brother.
    We hope you will come visit us also in Palawan someday.
    Very enjoyable read thanks for posting.
    Best regards and God bless+
    Joe

• Jonan Castillon says

Thank you Joe for your comment. Palawan is one destination we have in our list of places to visit. We would love to meet you there. God bless you and Glai.

• Cindy Patricia says

Hi Tito, it’s very Lovely place i wish we could live there also…have a wonderful
        day…and more blessings to come!!!

• Gladys Pearl says

It’s beautiful, clean and peaceful!
        I could see that “HAPPY SMILE” on your face, your family and friends.
        This must be a place where one could find many friendly people.
        I would love to come to this place!
        Hey, is there a job for me there?

Trackbacks